My first job out of college was at a commodities trading company and I’d be lying if I said I did a good job of keeping myself busy full time with company tasks. I’d let my mind wander. I’d surf the internet. Hell, I even read books on my computer. Don’t get wrong I got all my work done, but what should have taken me 4 hours would somehow always take me 8.
One of my favorite ways to pass time was to use StumbleUpon. For those that have never used the site, you pick different categories and the app takes you to random websites within the selected category. Great way to kill time and learn new things.
My three favorites? Travel. Books. Quotes.
It’s here where I began to feed my desire to travel. It was here I found more and more ideas for books to read. And it was here I added dozes of pages to my already all-to-long document of quotes.
I was cleaning my room last weekend and came across something: a list. As soon as I saw it I knew how I’d found it. Somewhere in the countless sites I visited via StumbleUpon, I came across a list of things to do to live a good life. Now, I’ll be the first to admit that a “good life” is a very subjective term that could apply to countless situations based on personal goals, desires, and overcoming pre-established conditions you had no part in creating.
With that said, life goes by in the blink of an eye and most people end up with regrets of some sort. I’ve written about some of my rules for life before, but this was a list I found years before I created mine. I have no idea who wrote this list, but there are definitely a few that got me thinking. As I read through the list I made notes of what I already do well, what I need to work on, and what I need to start doing. I wanted to share it in the hopes that maybe a few of them will hit home with you as well.
- Exercise daily.
- Get serious about gratitude.
- See your work as a craft.
- Expect the best prepare for the worst.
- Keep a journal.
- Read The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.
- Plan a schedule for your week.
- Know the 5 highest priorities of your life.
- Say no to distractions.
- Drink a lot of water.
- Improve your work every single day.
- Get a mentor.
- Hire a coach.
- Get up at 6 a.m. everyday.
- Eat less food.
- Find more heroes.
- Be a hero to someone.
- Smile at strangers.
- Be the most ethical person you know.
- Don’t settle for anything less than excellence,
- Savor life’s simplest pleasures.
- Save 10% of your income each month.
- Spend time at art galleries.
- Walk in the woods.
- Write thank you letters to those you’ve helped you.
- Forgive those who’ve wronged you.
- Remember that leadership is about influence and impact, not title and accolades.
- Create unforgettable moments with those you love.
- Have 5 great friends
- Become stunningly polite.
- Unplug your TV.
- Sell your TV.
- Read daily.
- Avoid the news.
- Be content with what you have.
- Purusue your dreams.
- Be authentic.
- Be passionate.
- Say sorry when you know you should.
- Never miss a moment to celebrate another.
- Have a vision for you life.
- Know your strengths.
- Focus your mind on the good versus the lack.
- Be patient.
- Don’t give up.
- Clean up your messes.
- Use impeccable words.
- Travel more.
- Read As You Think
- Honor your parents.
- Tip service people well
- Be a great teammate
- Give no energy to critics
- Spend time in the mountains
- Know your top 5 values.
- Shift from being busy to achieving results.
- Innovate and iterate.
- Speak less, Listen more.
- Be the best person you know.
- Make your life matter.
Which ones do you do well? Which ones do you need to work on?
The best way to keep up with my adventures is to follow me on Instagram- Todds_Tales.